Translate

Sunday, October 1, 2017

a few more 'visitors'... and clay stuff

butterfly (maybe swallowtail) on Cashmere plant

I took this picture through the french doors this week as this butterfly was flittering around the cashmere plant in the backyard. I'm surprised it came out as well as it did with it's wings fluttering a mile a minute and the panes in our French doors so dirty from little raccoon paws... see below.



 


 visiting raccoons.. 












And the next picture was sent to me via iPhone from my friend who lives about 45 minutes north of here. She said this little guy was pecking so hard on her kitchen window that she thought it was going to break. 


roadrunner

I'd never seen one up close, so was glad to get the picture. He (or she) is a pretty good size.

We also had a sort of 'confrontation' in our back this morning as several raccoons, one little possum, and a very inquisitive kitten came face to face.  Usually they ignore or give each other a wide berth, and the raccoons and possum did this... but the kitten decided he wanted to play with the possum's tail. This didn't go well with the possum... and even though he is smaller than the kitten, he started to go after it. DH intervened and chased them all off (or at least gave them all a time out). 

I'm feeling better these last few days. Think it was a flare-up of my IC (Interstitual Cystitis) which causes low back pain and low grade fever on occasion. Of course this morning I woke up with my eyes messed up.... due to ocular migraine (migraine with aura). This happens ever so often too. It seems to be how my migraines evolved with age. It isn't accompanied by the intense pain anymore... generally just affects vision and sometimes affects clear thinking.  It does however make it difficult to read, write, or drive during an epidode. But episodes only last 10-15 minutes (usually). So... since I'm 72 years old and in relatively good health, these minor inconveniences are simply to be dealt with. 

And now I'm going to bore you with a few more pics of clay projects in progress. 

kitten, fox, and chicken waiting for 2nd firing
 
2 mugs in center
 
These 2 mugs in center of shelf are mine and are waiting for the reduction kiln. I've a combination of glazes on them that I've never tried (prussian blue, celedon, and temaku (sp?) - as well as some blackbird stain.  We shall see how they come out...


cat hanging on bowl view 1

cat hanging on bowl view 2   





These last 2 pics were just taken as I'm just underglazing... silly cat hanging on side of bowl. 

Well, time to get on with 'other things'... promised DH I would make some home-made granola this afternoon. Here's wishing everyone out there a lovely Sunday... and a healthy stress free week! 

PS: Poldark returns tonight on PBS! 






 

14 comments:

  1. Goodness, you do have critter adventures, don't you! Look at that raccoon for heaven's sake. I think my cats would have a stroke if they saw something like that. LOL.

    I really like that cat hanging on the bowl; adorable!

    Glad you're feeling better, migraine notwithstanding. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. Our backyard has been a source of entertainment and education for the last 32 years.

      Delete
  2. I don't know Poldark. I'll have to look into it (him? her?) I like your clay chicken! Great personality to that one! I am amazed at the wildlife you have showing up on your porch! I can just imagine that kitten wanting to play with the possum's tail. Hope you are feeling much better. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, you might want to google Poldark. It's one of my favorites... although the man is both handsome and upstanding, he is a constant source of hardheadedness and trouble. And I'm glad you like my chickens. I do other animals, but the chickens seem to be a hit.

      Delete
  3. You are the second person to remind me of Poldark's return. I guess I should start at the beginning since I haven't seen any of it. I love that silly cat hanging on the cup! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, you should check out Poldark. I think you would like it.

      Delete
  4. That is how my cat uses chair arms, backs, the back of the sofa. I call it his Detroit lean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Joanne. Our 2 black and whites like to lie this way too.

      Delete
  5. I love your critters, wild or tame, and furry or fired! I cleaned out my pantry yesterday, so the little raccoons had a feast! I wonder how they fared with the out-of-date cocoa mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our raccoons love sweets. Actually I think their favorite is peanut butter on bread, but they do devour any left over desserts we put out. However, I'm not too sure that any chocolate, garlic, or onions are good for them...

      Delete
  6. I like the cat hanging on a bowl. It looks difficult to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, John not too difficult. I don't try for exactness... just the general flow of motion that illustrates relaxation.

      Delete
  7. Well, like everyone else I adore the cat hanging on the side of the bowl---so catlike.

    The little chickens are adorable.

    How nice to finally see a roadrunner if only in a snapshot. I've only seen them in the old Wiley Coyote cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to see a real roadrunner, Vic. I too have only seen them in cartoons.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...