Translate

Sunday, April 30, 2017

my monkey mind strikes again...



Sunday morning breakfast

This is how DH and I started off our Sunday morning... crepes!  He had the Strawberry Cheesecake crepe and I had the Mixed Berry cream crepe - both delicious! 

Have had a lot on my mind lately. I've always called this my 'monkey mind'... when too many thoughts invade. This caused me not to sleep very well last night. Finally got up, did a few things, had a cup of tea and returned to bed just as the storms came through our area. Thunder and lightning didn't help either...  the storm did set off the truck alarm which added to the night's restlessness. But we were lucky here and didn't get the tornadoes that hit in and around Canton. We do keep those people in our thoughts and prayers... as there but for the grace of god, go any one of us.

My tiny container garden is doing OK. So far there's only red bell pepper, curly parsley, and basil. I still need to get some trailing rosemary to hang out front.


container garden


Oh, and I made some espresso shortbread cookies this afternoon to send to my daughter for her birthday. Haven't made these in a while and they are her favorite. We usually go down to visit her around this time, but since we were there for Spring Break have decided to put the trip off until later in the summer.


Espresso shortbread cookies



Also I've finally decided to 'put myself out there' (so to speak) and take a watercolor class this summer. I've always wanted to do this, and have dabbled in it on my own, but would love to know some real 'watercolor techniques'. The next 2 pics are ones that I absolutely love... (not my work!!... I wish it were) but would love to be able to create this type of watercolor on my own.





I have a fascination with seagulls and how they fly and land.  So I always try to capture their movement (perhaps it's a Jonathon Livingston Seagull thing...).

I did the following watercolor years ago... (please don't laugh, it is amateurish, and again I'm dabbling on my own). 


may have to enlarge it so see it well... colors are very  light

Anyway, I've been sketching gulls again recently, but want more instruction as to how to watercolor them. Here are a few of my gulls in flight.







And... we have a Student Pottery Sale coming up in a few days at the Studio. So much to do... (but as you can see, I'm never bored).  Have to decide what to put in the sale, get it all packed up, priced, and then work the sale from 8 to 4.  

Then there are other things going on within the family... moving, graduation, a trip to visit relatives... all coming up in the near future. So no wonder my mind is too busy to sleep on occasion. 

On a good note: when I do get up in the middle of the night, the cats are always happy to see me. Julie comes and sits where-ever I'm working and watches.  



Have a great week!

12 comments:

  1. You should have fun in those watercolor classes, and I did enjoy seeing your dabbling. It will be fun to see how it all works out. Have a great week back at you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it should be fun... and a little intimidating... but will go for it anyway.

      Delete
  2. I think your sketches are very good! Do show us what you learn in water colour class. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn. I will be glad to share what I learn. Since I really know nothing, there should be a lot to share.

      Delete
  3. I *love* watercolour painting -- landscape, floral, that sort of thing. Not to do, haven't got a talented bone in my body in that regard, but as an art medium. I bet you have a great time and learn tons! Can't wait to see some of your work posted here.

    You in the midst of a busy time! Well, I think it's better to be active and engaged and busy than not. In fact, you're one of my role models for aging well, even though I don't know you! You're a bit younger than my parents, and certainly my dad still is active (mom too, but dad in more fun ways), but neither has hobbies like you do. I think it's great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I too love water color paintings... some styles more than others. But when I see the sky... or the water, I want to be able to create that. I really don't know how, but I hope to learn.

      I agree with you about 'being active'... although I'm definitely not as physically active as some. But my mind does stay busy. I think being able to stay 'involved in activities' that bring you peace may be an art in itself.

      Delete
  4. Your sketching is so good so you should have a great time with the watercolors! I'm a beginner self taught and having a blast with it. My thing seems to be flowers. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I had to go back and check your blog to see that you are also experimenting with watercolors. And I noticed that you mentioned "Choose Joy"... this saying "Beyond the gloom of this world lies joy, Take Joy!" has always been one of my favorites.

      Delete
  5. You would love my two seagulls, they come twice a day for a few cat biscuits and venture quite close. They really are so beautiful and intelligent.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are beautiful too, Briony. The closest I've been to them was on a beach in Maine... where watching them fly and land fascinated me.

      Delete
  6. I would never laugh....in fact, I'm envious of your creative talents. I can put things together, like crocheting or knitting because there is a pattern to follow. To do something freehand like drawing, painting, or pottery is well beyond my abilities.

    Enjoy your classes and I look forward to seeing your efforts shared here.

    I have a tendency to get caught up in my "to do" list and other worries at night. I keep a pad of paper by the bed and write down as much as I can. I do this in the dark because if I turn on a light I'm up longer than I want to be. Boy, some of the scribbles in the morning make no sense at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my iPhone (which sits beside my bed for weather alerts during the night)to jot down things that pop into my head - but occasionally push the wrong button in the dark and Seri pops up loud and clear (and wakes us both up). Maybe I should use a pad and pencil...

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...